Saturday, September 6, 2008

Occupational stereotypes

Salam to everyone.

In our previous lecture, we learnt about Associative Learning Experiences. It occurs when the people match the previous neutral experience with the positive or negative one. Furthermore, occupational stereotypes will develop where it can cause the inaccurate perception towards something. Negatively, this situation can be the barrier for the people to achieve the career that they really want. When it comes to the course choices in the university, people sometimes said that certain programmes do not have the guarantee that you’ll be provided for the job after graduated. In addition, during I fill the UPU form through internet after my SPM, people around me tell that I won’t get the job if I take the course other than education. They said like that just because of their observation where there are some of their friends or family members who are jobless after graduated. This type of advice is really influence my thinking and perception where I afraid to involve in the other field of work other than teacher. Even though, my interest on accounting starts grows and I want to be the accountant after I got the good result on that subject, I forced to forget it and take the course where I can easily apply for the KPLI after graduated. So that, I still have the opportunity to be a teacher on the future. I realize about this generalization since I’m in the form 5. This situation is really makes me worry as the EDUCATION COURSE is really demand the good SPM result in order to take it.

It is true that, in my village there are many jobless graduated students who take the courses that required them to be in the office but, they cannot work due to the demand of job market. For example; they are taking accounting and law. Most of them only work after they took KPLI and be the teacher. In my opinion, it is not fair to make the generalization that, we only can work if we take the education as the choice in the university. It is because there are many people outside there who still can work although it really takes time and effort. Now, my interest in the world of counseling starts blooming and I want to take this opportunity to change the perception of my students on the future. Thus, the students who are lacking of information will no longer be the victim of generalization. I want to convince them that, there is no wrong if they want to proceed on their ambition although it is not a teacher. InsyALLAH.

No comments: